The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Thursday filed complaints for murder against the nine policemen who figured in the shooting to death of Calbayog City Mayor Ronaldo Aquino and his companions in March.
According to John Consulta’s report on “24 Oras,” the NBI has filed murder and frustrated murder complaints against the officers at the Department of Justice.?
Aquino and his companions were shot to death on Laboyao Bridge in Barangay Lonoy in March.
Though police previously claimed that they were forced to return fire after the mayor’s men began shooting them, CCTV footage shows that the police officers tailed the mayor for 17 minutes before his death.
After the shooting, the white pick-up that jostled the mayor’s car was seen being followed by a black SUV. The suspects were then caught on video placing the guns inside the vehicle.
“As to the CCTV, it will tell us that this is not just a chance encounter, but as I said a premeditated one. That’s why the report… was it was an ambush,” NBI Deputy Director for Regional Services Atty. Antonio Pagatpat said.
Mansfield Labonite, the lone survivor and the assistant of Aquino, also said the cops fired at them first. -Joahna Lei Casilao/NB, GMA News?
This article NBI files murder raps vs. policemen in killing of Calbayog mayor Aquino was originally published in GMA News Online.