Former Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao governor Zaldy Ampatuan, who was convicted over the Maguindanao Massacre, was brought to a hospital on Thursday evening after he suffered a seizure.
According to Marisol Abdurahman’s Friday report on “State of the Nation,” the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) said Ampatuan was brought to a government hospital in Muntinlupa from the New Bilibid Prison.
“Emergency hospital referral ‘yun. Regular naman natin ginagawa na kapag emergency kailangan madala agad sa ospital. Kahapon nagkaroon ng seizure disorder so minabuti ng ating health service na dalhin sa ospital,” BuCor Asec. Gabriel Chaclag said.
(It was an emergency hospital referral. We regularly do this if there’s an emergency and we need to immediately bring them to the hospital. He experienced a seizure yesterday so the health service said he should be moved.)
Chaclag said Ampatuan had to undergo tests that they could not conduct in the New Bilibid Hospital, especially since it is under construction.
“Merong mga test na hindi kaya ng hospital natin sa loob. Kaya natin dinadala sa specialist sa labas,” he said.
(There are tests that our hospital cannot do. So we need to bring him to a specialist outside.)
BuCor said Ampatuan previously experienced a stroke while under the custody of the Bureau of Jail and Management Penology.
However, this is the first time Ampatuan had to be brought to a hospital since he was moved to the New Bilibid Prison.
At present, Ampatuan is under observation at the hospital.
BuCor said that he will be brought back to the New Bilibid Prison once his condition improves.
The agency also stressed that it is not giving special treatment to the Ampatuans. It added that the inmates will pay for the medical fees. — Joahna Lei Casilao/DVM, GMA News
This article Zaldy Ampatuan brought to Muntinlupa hospital after seizure was originally published in GMA News Online.